The bell tower of The Church of Saint Michael the Archangel stands high atop the hill as a beacon for all to see. Since 1822, this church community has had three cemeteries that interred their dead. Two are long closed, each having accepted at least one thousand burials. The current Saint James Cemetery was dedicated in the early twentieth century. Through his research, author Richard Hughes has been able to offer a snapshot of the times. Burial rituals have changed, from the practice of “waking” the deceased in the home to the advent of funeral homes. Handwritten church records reflect changes in demographics over time. Shifts in where people lived, their living conditions and changes in life expectancy are made evident. The Parish of St. Michael the Archangel the Early Cemeteries includes a listing of some 3000 names of individuals buried in these historic cemeteries as an aid to anyone wishing to conduct genealogical research. In its brief 44 pages, this is a book packed with history.