Hastings County Historical Society By-law No.1 – Revised
Presented to the membership for approval at the Society’s Annual General Meeting on Tuesday, March 19, 2019, at Maranatha, 100 College St. West, Belleville, Ontario.
The Hastings County Historical Society was founded in 1957 as a voluntary entity. The Society was officially granted a charter as a not-for-profit corporation with Letters Patent issued by the Honourable A. B. R. Lawrence, Minister of Financial and Commercial Affairs, Province of Ontario on April 15th, 1970 for the following objects:
- to promote, encourage and enter into research into the history of Hastings County;
- to provide information and education services on the history of Hastings County to its citizens, and particularly to its students;
- to maintain archives for the deposit of historically significant documents;
- to operate a museum known as the Hastings County Museum for display of historically significant objects;
- to maintain a gallery for the display of historically significant works of art;
- to encourage the preservation, use, maintenance and enjoyment of all historically significant objects and buildings in Hastings County;
- to promote activities necessary for the preservation of the culture of the people of Hastings County; and
- to solicit, receive and hold contributions of money and property both real and personal for the objects of the Corporation; to sell or convert any real or personal property into money from time to time; to invest and reinvest any principal in such manner as may from time to time be determined; and to disburse and distribute such money and property in furtherance of the objects of the Corporation.
Through a joint partnership between the City of Belleville, the County of Hastings and the Hastings County Historical Society, the role of maintaining a public archives was ceded to the Community Archives of Belleville and Hastings County on 9 February 2015. Further, with the establishment of Glanmore National Historic Site as a museum in 1973, the role of developing and maintaining a museum was shifted to that organization.
The following Revised By-law No.1 was approved by the Directors of the Society at its Board meeting of December 4th, 2018 and presented to the membership for approval at the Annual General Meeting of Tuesday, March 19, 2019.
Full text of By-law No.1.