SEVEN PLAQUES FOR HASTINGS COUNTY
The Hastings County Historical Society will be placing seven historical plaques throughout Hastings County in the summer of 2018.
The historical plaque project was initiated in 2017 with the unveiling of five plaques at various sites throughout downtown Belleville to commemorate the city’s 200th anniversary. An additional plaque was placed at the site of the former Marchmont Distribution Home for British Home Children on Yeomans Street. Initially intended to be a two-year project, covering Belleville the first year and the County of Hastings the second year, this project was given an boost by the unexpected donation of $25,000 from the Commonwell Mutual Insurance Company as part of their celebration of Canada’s sesquicentennial.
Chosen locations of this year's plaques:
• Bancroft Hotel in the town of Bancroft
• Chisholm's Mill in Roslin
• Village of Lonsdale in Tyendinaga Township
* Thomasburg Spring Garden in Tweed/Hungerford
• Memorial Park in Marmora (a salute to mining)
• St. Peter's Presbyterian Church/Barrack's in Madoc, Centre Hastings
• Corby's Distillery in Thurlow
Each plaque will be unveiled in a special ceremony. The Historical Society will be working with citizens, the municipalities and the media in each community to plan the unveiling ceremony and publicize each event. Dates and times of each unveiling will be established later in the Spring. Watch for details.